About Eric Beck
Eric Beck has been involved in the soccer arena for over 50 years. In 2010 he was inducted into the USASA National Soccer Hall-of-Fame and was previously honored as a member of the USASA Region IV (West) Hall-of-Fame.
Eric Beck was born in Long Eaton, England in 1949 the youngest of 14 children. Following high school he joined the English Army. One of his later assignments was as part of the English Army Basketball team which embarked on a tour in North Africa. They were victorious in each game. Eric and his team wanted to explore their love for the sport. A U.S. Aircraft carrier was in port at Tobruk Libya and they decided to arrange a game. After 6 years in the Army and at the age of 25, Eric moved to America residing in Portland, Oregon. He quickly met his wife Beverly with whom he recently celebrated his 40th wedding anniversary. He has two daughters, Rachel and Alissa, and a son Kyle. He has been blessed with 7 grandchildren. Rachel, the mother of Laura, Hannah, and Jake and Alissa with Olivia, Gavin, Liam and Amelia. In addition to Eric’s love of for his family and soccer, he finds much pleasure in singing. He has played at various local pubs and parties in addition to performing with his daughter Alissa in Krayon Kids, a children’s Musical Theater Company. Eric has utilized his many gifts and recorded the current the theme song of the Portland Timbers professional soccer team. The record “Green is the Color” has enjoyed strong regional sales and even some airplay.
Eric started his soccer career at the age of 4 years old but was forced to quit playing due to knee problems at the age of 29. Following a second back surgery, he was told “you should never run again”. Eric continued to follow his passion, redoubling his efforts and became a national referee. He has refereed at the highest levels available and has gradually transitioned to more administrative and assigning duties. He performs these tasks for various youth and adult leagues, tournaments and indoor/outdoor centers.
Eric’s Referee Highlights
- USSF Referee 1978-present
- USSF State Referee 1981-1993
- USSF National Referee 1993-1997
- USSF National Referee Emeritus 1997-present
- Continental Indoor Soccer League (CISL): 128 games (Eight Years Professional Referee)
- World Indoor Soccer League (WISL): 79 games, including finals (Six Years Professional Referee)
- U.S. Women’s Victory Tour Referee (Indoor)
- United States Interstate Soccer League (USISL): 32 lines
- A-League: 12 centers
- Portland Timbers (A-League) Liaison: 2000-present
- Women’s United Soccer Association (WUSA): 2002 All-Star Game Referee Liaison
- USA V Canada (M-U23): Center
- Canada (MNT) V Seattle Sounders (A-League): Line
- Pumas V Cascade Surge (USISL): Center
- China V USA (WNT): Center
- England V USA (WNT): Line
- USA V Canada (M-U21): Center
- Brazil V USA (WNT): Line
- USA (MNT) V Costa Rica: USSF Referee Liaison
- USA (MNT) V Kuwait: USSF Referee Liaison
- USA (MNT) V Canada: USSF Referee Liaison
- Women’s World Cup: 1999 FIFA Referee Liaison
- State of Oregon Referee Administrator: 1979-1983/1992-2000: Built a referee base from 125 registered referees to 1,700. Resigned to accept the position as United States Adult Soccer Association (USASA) Region IV Coordinator.
- Registered USSF Referee Instructor, Assessor, Assignor, and Assignor Instructor
- Numerous Region IV Select Team and National Cup Regional game refereed.
- Several State Cup and Intrastate National Cup games refereed.
- Indoor and Futsal Referee, Instructor, Assessor, and Assignor 2001- present
Referee Liaison to
- USASA Regional Cup Finals: 1992, 1994
- USASA National Cup Finals: 1997
- Nike World Masters Games: 1998
- USSF Soccer Festival: 1999
- Region IV Select Teams Finals: 2001-2002
- USASA Region IV Referee Coordinator: 2003-present
- Coordinating and overseeing all referee participation in regional events: National Cups, State Selects, Veteran’s Cup, National Coed Championship
- MLS Portland Timbers, Portland Thorns, Timbers 2.2011-present